Hello I hope your Christmas preparations are going well. Today I’m departing from Christmas to take a look at a steampunk altered tin that I created for Visible Image. It was a stamping contrasts team feature for ‘The Craft Stamper magazine (October issue).
It’s amazing to see all the different creations by the team made with the same stamp set!
The products used were:
The project began with a plain tobacco tin.
I used die cut cogs- (mixed media dies from Crafters Companion.) Metal cogs; wire; springs and gold micro beads. The paints were mainly Decoart media fluid acrylics. I also used mint paint from Pebeo and gold metallic and red paint from Golden. I used black and rust inks, some crackle paste, texture patina paste from Finnibar, glossy accents and gilding paste…Yes my hands got very dirty!
I painted the tin inside and out with mint paint. I connected the lid to the base using electrical tape. Once the paint was dry I added the patina paste randomly to create texture.
I continued to build up darker layers and then used gilding wax to highlight.
The centre piece was heat embossed twice; on black card and then gilded and then on white card coloured and cut out. The fragments were also glazed.
The elements were assembled. The fragments were carefully adhered to small springs. I wanted to create the impression of an ‘explosion’. The micro beads covered up the adhesive. (Heavy gel medium) I created two hearts from grey board which had been treated using crackle paste and painted red. This was to help the vintage colours ‘pop’ by adding contrast. Metal clock hands were also added.
It was a bit of a grungy adventure!
Till next time.. and back to Christmas!