I promised our Facebook group that I would do a tutorial for this picture. It features some of the New release stamps from the Lavinia stamps October release. I have to say that I’m blown away by the new fabulous designs! They of course mix and match beautifully with stamps from the whole range (as I have done here) allowing us to build endless combinations of magical scenes!
I used the following stamps:
I’ve used again one of my favourite background techniques. Like in the previous posts I began by creating an ink spray print. This was done by spraying a selection of ink sprays ( some with mica) on to good quality stamping or mixed media white card. Spray with water, then press a blank piece of dry card on top and pull apart. The ink will leave two prints which when dry I cut down and use as a background. I use the random pattern to build a scene.
Using torn copy paper and ink I created a bank in the foreground.
I then began to roughly build a scene using grey ink and paper masks for some of the mushrooms. I didn’t want the images too dark. It was just outlines that I needed as I was going to mainly paint over them later.
Once I had a rough design I painted the main images with gesso. This helps with the colouring process later. If you want bolder brighter colour unaffected by the background this is a good way of providing a neutral colouring base. Then I carefully lined up my stamps again and stamped over the top in a dark blue ink. ( sorry forgot to photograph this step- got distracted!)
I extended the tree top using the same line work and layered down colour firstly using zig clean colour markers and then for a little more opacity posca paint pens and white gel pen on some parts.
I did the same to the foreground images. I also used more distress oxide ink to shade the bank and my Stabilo all charcoal pencil to darken the shadow in front of the foreground mushroom. I added yellow dots to the smaller mushrooms and for lighter colour I used my red and yellow Stabilo pastel pencils.
I added leaves in both sizes to the top of the tree in several different colours of ink. I also highlighted the leaves down the left side in paler colours of pastel pencil as the light was coming from that direction.
I stamped some additional mushrooms in both the background and the foreground. For a misty affect I stamped using purple distress oxide ink. I also used paint pens to enhance the colours on various sections of the picture.
Finally when the picture was mounted I added the obligatory glitter!
The close ups:
I have to say that I think the Druid’s Inn stamp is one of my favourite stamps so far and I really enjoyed building a mushroom village as a setting for it.
Don’t forget to check out the fabulous samples from the rest of the team for more inspiration and of course our friendly Facebook group
Till next time…